Pattern: Grumperina's Picovoli, with modifications
Yarn: Classic Elite Provence in a to dye for red (color # 2627), almost 2 full skeins
Needles: #5 bamboo circulars
Notes: For starters, I didn't get gauge. Next, my size is between the pattern sizes. So, all actual numbers were recalculated and fudged to fit. And boy does it ever fit. I suspect that it's either too short or small, or I'm not used to baring the midriff. Scott loves it, though. Any thoughts? I could always add some rows near the waist to make it longer.
Modifications aside, this was an easy and relatively fun knit. The plain stockinette stitch makes for good TV knitting, while the shaping details give it interest. Plus, the fact that you can try it on as you go helps make a garment that fits. The instructions are clear and in-the-round knitting means minimal ends to be woven in.
I enjoyed knitting with Provence. Soft and silky with a nice sheen. Good yardage, too.
The bottom edge won't stay down. I've tried steaming it to no avail. Any thoughts on that one, too?
I'm making a liar of myself, where's the spinning content?? Actually there's been some spinning and dyeing, but today's post was determined to be color coordinated.
Sock one of The Red and The Black is done! My first handdyed handspun handknit sock, hehe.
I added a simple 1x1 rib only in the last black band, because it looked odd any other way.
Sock 2 is in progress and I'm curious to see how they match up. These I will be sad not to be wearing until the Fall.
I wanted to knit a second hat for MJ's Norwegian Knits-Along, and ran into some troubles. Adrian helped me brainstorm and I tackled the project anew. On my first stab, the gauge and stitch pattern were not cooperating to make a hat to fit my head. I considered:
- adding larger motifs separating the panels
- adding an extra repeat to the "front" and "back" panels
- adding an extra panel to make 5 (Adrian's suggestion)
In the end, I went with the first option. I'm pretty sure there was a good reason. I distinctly remember trying the second option and having one of those, "<sigh> this is not going to work" moments. At this moment I can't recall what the issue might have been.
Assuming it will fit, it's looking good. I'm not happy with the way I increased stitches before starting the main pattern, so I'll probably have to rework the first few rows. But, with the Norwegian Knits-Along ending and Spring seeming to be around the corner, there's no pressure to finish anytime soon.
My niece loves her scarf! I think it looks fabulous on her. Even in 80 degree weather.
I was surprised by how much longer it is on her than on me. Which just means it'll last longer. :)